Friday, May 21, 2010

I love my MTV

Lets go back to 1985. I was 16 years old and hear this song on MTV video awards. At that time, Madonna, Michael Jackson were the staples. Then I saw this video and the words were "I want my MTV". Some parts in the lyrics include refrigerator. Later I learnt that it was called Money for nothing by Dire Straits. At the same time later that year, my neighbour had a vinyl of Brothers in Arms (where Money for nothing was one of the songs). I managed to get a copy from him as he was doing mobile DJing. Unfortunately i don't have that copy with me now as I traded it with another vinyl. The copy I have was purchased in the 90s from a second hand shop.
That album spawned many hits like "walk of life", "ride across the river", "brothers in arms"
The album went to No 1 spot in many countries album chart. I believe it is one of the most successful albums in UK history.


Brothers in arms single


Money for nothing single


Brothers in Arms Lp

If you guys have not listen to Brothers in Arm track, do give it a listen. Its very meaningful

The other album that is nice is Love Over Gold. It was released in 1982. It features instrumental passages and has haunting tracks like "telegraph road","love over gold" and "private investigations". It went number 1 in countries like Australia, Italy and UK.


Love over gold Lp

Dire Straits also released a live album Alchemy. It featured hits from their earlier album prior to 1984. Songs include Sultans of Swing, Tunnel of Love, Romeo and Juliet.


Alchemy

Dire Straits broke up in 1995 and Mark Knopfler didn't want the band to reunite. Although they did come back as a group for charity concerts but no get together per se. He released a compilation album called The Best of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler: Private Investigations in 2005. It contain Dire Straits previous hits and is considered an underground album. A great album if one wishes to listen to Dire Straits in one album.


Best of Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits






Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails