Thursday, May 6, 2010

My first record

My first vinyl was purchased when I was still studying in 1986. I saw a very catchy song on MTV and learn that the song was called 'True Faith' and the group was called New Order. At that time a close fried of mine was also hooked on the same song, so he asked me (when he was purchasing) if I wanted a copy too. I paid S$20ish( a princely sum when you are a student)
The vinyl is still here with me, although aged but still in excellent condition.


True Faith single

True Faith record inset

True Faith cover

My thirst for New Order grew and so I went to look for other albums/singles. I regret I had a copy of Substance (but then exchanged it with the same friend of mine who got the True Faith single) for Gregorian "Once In a Lifetime". Other New Order albums I have are Low-Life, Brotherhood, Technique. I also have the singles such as Touch by hand of god, thieves like us (still got the price tag of S$5, Blue Monday (both the original and 1988 versions)


Blue Monday 1983

Blue Monday 1988

Technique

Low Life

Brotherhood

Touch by the hand of god

Thieves like us single

Some facts about New Order:
New Order were an English musical group formed in 1980 by Bernard Sumner (vocals, guitars, synthesizers), Peter Hook (bass, backing vocals, electronic drums) and Stephen Morris (drums, synthesizers). New Order were formed in the wake of the demise of their previous group Joy Division, following the suicide of vocalist Ian Curtis. They were soon joined by additional keyboardist Gillian Gilbert. New Order combined post-punk and electronic dance, and became one of the most critically acclaimed and highly influential bands of the 1980s. Though New Order's early years were shadowed by the legacy of Joy Division, their immersion in the New York City club scene of the early 1980s increased their knowledge of dance music. The band's 1983 hit "Blue Monday" saw them fully embrace dance music and synthesized instruments, and is the best-selling 12-inch single of all time.
via Wiki New Order






Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails